Spring is here and now is the perfect time to get stuck into those corners of your home that you have been avoiding all winter.
Spring sorting is not as daunting as it sounds if you follow these 4 simple steps
Start with an area that doesn’t affect your daily life, like the home office, the garage or even the spare room.
- Chose an area which doesn’t matter if it’s not completed in the first day, it may take some time to get into the swing of things and you don’t want to be clearing your bed in order to sleep! Starting in these areas also Helps boost your own morale. Once you see the room you have selected looking fabulous the flow on will be addictive! Getting started is the hardest part!
- When choosing what can stay and what can go – be sure ask yourself:
- Do I use this? (if yes, how often? If it hasn’t been used in 12 months it probably doesn’t belong there)
- Do I need this?
- Can I live without this?
- Could this be useful to someone else?
- Keep what you need, donate the rest! There are plenty of people in need of towels, sheets, toys, books, clothes and shoes – you name it! Make sure when you are decluttering you have 2-3 separate piles. One that is rubbish and one that is donations, and one to keep. This way your items will be going to someone who needs them and not into landfill. Because we all know how hard it is to throw away something that is still in perfect working order. Give it to someone who needs it! You’ve done a generous and awesome thing and you will feel so much better for it!
- If it doesn’t belong in that room, remove it and deliver it to its rightful home.Kitchens are usually the home’s clutter central. Most homes are designed with the kitchen being one of the main entrance points. Shoes get kicked off, keys and handbags are dumped on the counter, kids homework is screwed up on the end of the bench and the dog is eating next to the dishwasher.
I have been known to collect all the things in my kitchen which don’t belong – and pop them all in a basket – walk around the house and deliver to where they should be! My kids school books to their desks, keys to an entry table or hook, and all those grocery bags back in the car.
These little simple decluttering tips will not only make your home look great, but will relax your mind as well.
Spring with its new growth and the fresh scents of opportunity is a great time to start these sorting tips – but try to keep going all year round!!